Termination of Parental Rights

Termination of Parental Rights is a serious and permanent decision for you and for the child that you are considering giving up. It’s important that everyone understand the consequences, risks, and benefits to considering this course of action. We, at the Law Office of Jeredith Jones understand that a person in this type of situation on either side of the case needs both legal advice and emotional support. It’s important to understand that in a Termination case, no one should be vilified and that even though emotions run high, the child’s best interest is paramount to any case. Jeredith Jones, Attorney at Law represents clients and children in these cases and will be happy to discuss your case with you. We represent clients in Harris County, Montgomery County, Walker County, Splendora, Conroe, Magnolia, Montgomery, Willis, Woodforest, Oak Ridge North, Porter, and New Caney.

In order for a child to be available for adoption, one or both of his or her biological parent’s rights must be terminated by a court or through the voluntary relinquishment of the biological parents rights. There are a variety of reasons that a person may want to terminate parental right and the legal team at the Law Office of Jeredith Jones has experience with many different situations concerning terminating parental rights in Montgomery County, Conroe, Montgomery, Magnolia, Wood Forest, Spring, Splendora, and Willis.

Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights

A parent can volunteer to give up their parental rights to a child. There are many consequences to relinquishing your parental rights and it is important that anyone who wishes to relinquish their parental rights should speak with an attorney to assure that the person understands all consequences to signing any document that would give any right up to that person’s child. The decision to give up a child can be permeant after a certain period of time and you should understand what the decision entails. That parent can have many reasons to volunteer to give their parental rights to another individual. In step-parent or relative adoptions, it may be what is best for the child and the individual who decides to give up rights to a child may understand that relinquishment of parental rights is best for all concerned. In Texas, a person cannot request to terminate their own parental rights except in very specific circumstances. In some rare cases, there may be benefits to giving up parental rights, please contact our office to speak with Jeredith Jones, Attorney at Law if you have been served with a suit to terminate your parental rights in Montgomery County, Conroe, Magnolia, Splendora, Porter, New Caney, Montgomery, Willis, Wood Forest, Texas.

In-Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights

In some cases, a parent does not wish to give up parental rights. A termination suit can be filed in any number of ways including, due to child abuse or neglect allegations filed by Child Protective Services, the other biological parent, or another person who is acting as the parent. Jeredith Jones, Attorney at Law has experience as an investigator within Child Protective Services and understands that the noble mission of CPS is not always followed through with the best, most thorough investigation, family based services, or court processes. In addition, as an individual with experience within the Department investigating child abuse allegations, prosecuting cases through the District Attorney’s office, defending individuals against criminal Child Abuse charges, and representing parents in the Child Protective Services Court after children are placed in foster care, she understands better than most what it takes to fight against a request to terminate a parent’s rights. The legal team at Jeredith Jones, Attorney at Law will assist you in addressing these concerns and fighting for your rights.

In the alternative, Jeredith Jones will assist you in making sure that a termination case is as solid, straight forward, and as certain as possible under the circumstances. It’s important to remember that in order to terminate a parent’s rights without a signed Voluntary Relinquishment, there must be a ground, or legal reason, for the termination of the parental rights.

In Texas, some of the reasons that a person’s parental rights can be terminated are because that person

  • (1) used drugs or alcohol while pregnant with the child
  • (2) having a child who at birth shows withdrawal symptoms from alcohol or controlled substances, shows observable or harmful effects of drugs or alcohol, or has the presence of drugs or alcohol in the child’s bodily fluids.
  • (3) leaving the child in the possession of another without expressing the intent to return;
  • (4) left the child in the possession of another without expressing an intent to return and without support for three months or more
  • (5) left the child with someone without providing support for more than six months
  • (6) knowingly placed or knowingly allowed the child to remain in conditions or surroundings which endanger the physical or emotional well-being of the child;
  • (7) engaged in conduct or knowingly placed the child with persons who engaged in conduct which endangers the physical or emotional well-being of the child;
  • (8) failed to support the child in accordance with the parent's ability during a period of one year ending within six months of the date of the filing of the petition;
  • (9) abandoned the child without identifying the child or furnishing means of identification, and the child's identity cannot be ascertained by the exercise of reasonable diligence;
  • (10) voluntarily, and with knowledge of the pregnancy, abandoned the mother of the child beginning at a time during her pregnancy with the child and continuing through the birth, failed to provide adequate support or medical care for the mother during the period of abandonment before the birth of the child, and remained apart from the child or failed to support the child since the birth;

There are other, more obscure or complicated reasons or grounds to terminate a parent’s parental rights. If you are interested in talking to an attorney regarding terminating parental rights of an individual, please call us at Jeredith Jones, Attorney at Law to schedule a consultation for your Montgomery County, Harris County, or Walker County family law case.

Child Protective Services Termination

It is difficult to understand when CPS becomes involved with your family investigating allegations of Child Abuse how you are then supposed to trust them to work with you to return your children to you after you have completed services to their satisfaction. It is important in these cases to have an advocate on your side to decipher the language of Child Protective Services and to advocate for you. Please see my Child Protective Services page for more information on CPS involvement.

Client Reviews
Very knowledgeable, very professional. I recommend to everyone who seeks legal counsel!! Mandi R.
Jeredith was amazing, helpful, and willing to go above and beyond. Kelly R.